Read Write Inc: How to help your child to learn to read
At Norwood we use Read, Write Inc as our phonics programme. Helping your child to learn the sounds and read words using these sounds will complement their learning in school and help them to move through the programme quickly. We aim for all children to have completed Read, Write Inc by the end of the Autumn Term in Year 2.
- Autumn: Learning Set 1 sounds
- Spring: Blending with Set 1 sounds
- Summer: Learning Set 2 sounds
- Autumn: Set 1 & 2 sounds revision and blending with Set 1 & 2 sounds
- Spring and Summer: Learning Set 3 sounds and blending with Set 1, 2 & 3 sounds
Blending sounds is a tricky stage and can some children weeks to master. Blending is when you say each sound and push them together to read a word. Lots of blending games will help your child to practise this skill and master it as quickly as possible. The children will know this skill as 'Fred Talk'. There are some easy to do Fred Talk games attached below.