Sports Premium - Impact
Norwood Primary School works with local cluster schools and secondary school and this has brought about a clear vision regarding PE and sport. We offer pupils an excellent PE curriculum that is supported by competitions, events and extra-curricular activities, all of which culminate to provide an enriching, challenging and imaginative programme of study.
Our approach to PE ensures that our children lead active and healthy life styles as well as providing platforms to experience new opportunities where children can confidently explore and enjoy a wide range of sporting activities. We believe that through this we successfully foster learners who are resilient and persistent in all aspects of the curriculum.
We have a good reputation for our sporting achievements which has come about through engaging in city wide events, the outstanding conduct children within our teams and the positive attitudes that continue to be demonstrated by pupils and parents/carers.
Norwood School has a large sports field that through the various sporting seasons has football pitches, running tracks, rounder fields and cricket marked out. In addition to this the children have regular access to our Multi Use Games Area (MUGA) to enable skills to be acquired and developed in many team sports. Our school hall accommodates other activities such as gymnastics, dance, dodgeball, multiskills etc.
As a small school in a large ground we are fortunate to have other areas for play, exploration and physical activities. Our ‘trim trail’ and school garden are all available for outdoor activities and learning.
The midday staff along with YDP ensure that children have access to a range of activities to enjoy at lunchtimes that also support the development of our children.
So far we have used the funding to impact teaching and learning by:
· Working with our local secondary school through our Sports Partnership. This enables professional development for staff, cluster competitions and events for all of our children and access to resources beyond the capacity of a primary school.
· The ongoing ‘Mat Warn Cup’ which is an intra school sports competition aimed at increasing pupils’ engagement in competitive sport.
. Inter-house competitions providing all pupils with the opportunity to represent their house and earn valuable points towards the house totals.
· Professional development opportunities for class teachers.
· Professional development opportunities for the PE coordinator to develop new initiatives and feedback to teachers to impact children’s learning.
· Enable access for all at our extra-curricular activities and sports camps by funding individual children to attend Youth Dreams Project provision.
· Resourcing high quality sports equipment that gives children the best chance to explore high quality PE and sport
· Transportation to and from events, competitions and activities.
. Providing Reception with Jabadao equipment which supports their physical play and development.
. Leadership training for our Year Fives and our Sports Leaders who in turn support and lead other pupils across the school in sporting events.
We continue to use the pupil voice to ensure that our sporting provision is reflective of the children’s interests, skills and desire for new opportunities and experiences.